How to integrate your workflows with Discord using codemagic.yaml
Discord is a free voice, video and text chat application originally built for gamers, but has since become a general use platform for many different communities. If your development team uses Discord, it can be used as part of your CI/CD to notify your development team when a build is complete and include information about the build and links to download build artifacts.
Create a Discord account
You will need access to a Discord account and can sign up for free.
Create a Server and channel in Discord
A Server is a dedicated space for your community. A server is required for you to create text channels to talk with people you invite to the server.
- Log into Discord here
- Click on the ‘+’ button on the left hand menu to create a Server and give it a name and click the ‘Create’ button.
- Click on the ‘+’ button next to Text Channels. Make sure the channel type is set to ‘Text channel’ and give your channel a name e.g. codemagic-builds and then click ‘Create channel’.
- Once the channel has been created, click on the channel name to highlight it and then click on the channel’s settings icon.
- Click on ‘Integrations’ and then click ‘Create webhook’ and change the name if you want.
- Click the ‘Copy webhook URL’
- Add the webhook URL as an environment variable to your codemagic.yaml as desribed below.
Configuring access to Discord in Codemagic
One environment variable needs to be added to your workflow for the Discord integration:
WEBHOOK_URL which is the webhook URL you created in the steps above.
Environment variables can be added in the Codemagic web app using the ‘Environment variables’ tab. You can then and import your variable groups into your codemagic.yaml. For example, if you named your variable group ‘discord’, you would import it as follows:
workflows: workflow-name: environment: groups: - discord
For further information about using variable groups please click here.
A sample project that shows how to configure Discord integration is available here
Please refer to the readme.md and codemagic.yaml in the sample project for configuration instructions for your project.